Monday, August 18, 2008

What is it?

Because I don't have the car yet (no tags, but I do hold the title), I thought I'd start explaining the reasoning behind this undertaking.

In short, I'm bored on the weekends. I like working on my car, but there's really not much to do on my regular car, a reliable '93 Nissan Altima. And so I decided to buy a project car, something that would require constant care and attention. An additional requirement was that the car would also be a fun car, meaning that after fixing it and taking it out for a test spin I'd actually have fun (much unlike going and testing out a fixed Chevy Nova - something I also briefly considered).

Several years ago I was seriously considering the mid-80s Mercedes SL class of cars. At around $5000 (in good condition) they seemed like a decent deal. Plus the seats were generally in-tact, rust as not a huge problem, and most of them were convertibles. However, working on these cars is difficult and annoying, as anyone familiar with German engineering will agree. So when I seriously started considering project cars I looked towards American cars, and came across an '85 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Nascar spec. Being quite naive about these things at the time I forgot to consider that whoever owned the car before probably drove the living hell out of it.

Then one day I'm having lunch with an old friend who's car fiendishness and knowledge easily eclipses mine. We were talking about the usual stuff -alternator and timing belt problems- and I mentioned I was looking for a project car. "You know, I have an old MG lying around I'm trying to get rid off" he said. About three months later I now own that MG.

No comments: