Sunday, September 14, 2008

Overheating - fixed

  • Change temperature sending unit (thermocouple)
Once again, the hurricanes got the best of me and I wasn't able to do anything to Bonnie Delilah (as she's known now; screw Shelly). I had an interesting car-related Saturday (detailed on the main page: www.arunluykx.com), though.

But now, the moment of truth. The new temperature sending unit (can we please just call it a thermocouple?) arrived, and lo and behold the gauge works again! It even displays the correct idle temperature - just left of centre. Taking it out for a spin the temperature did indeed go up when I applied the gas-pedal more, and cooled off at idle. Folks, the engine is running well again. The issue was -I'm ashamed to say- a lose wire, from the thermocouple, that was grounded by touching the frame.

One should note when replacing the termocouple that it is submersed with coolant, meaning that when you pull out the old thermocouple your car will start leaking coolant. I didn't feel like flushing the system again, so I just quickly removed one and replaced it with the new one (Beck/Arnley). The new one had a different bolt size and did not seem to fit particularly snug. However the temperature was fine and -once sufficiently tightened- it didn't leak coolant.

I also replaced the left window-winder (up till now I was using a little nub and my hand to pull up the window), and fixed the headlight switch (so I don't have to keep winding two wires together with my hands, almost burning myself each time). I tried replacing the key ignition but have had no success with that yet, so that'll be for next time.

Anyway, Bonnie Delilah runs safely and confidently again!

No comments: