Monday, October 20, 2008

Emergency radiator flush

  • Flushed coolant with 50/50 solution
Remember when I flushed the radiator a while back? Well at the time I filled it up with pretty much all water and a minimum of anti-freeze - fine in the summer, murder in the winter. Once the water in the radiator freezes it expands and the radiator cracks. This could possibly even happen in the engine (resulting in one nice paper weight). Last night temperatures were freezing.

Though I'm looking for an excuse to swap out the engine (with a V8; I'm thinking HEMI), the timing is not right and a dead engine would be the end of this project for a long time.

Luckily Bonnie started up as normal. To flush the radiator fluid I removed the bottom hose again (no drain plug on 77s and up), reconnected it and refilled it using the top hose. Running the engine for a while the reserve bucket burped and I filled up till it stopped burping. All in all I used about a gallon of 50/50 coolant.

The engine now runs hotter than normal at idle, slightly to the right of centre, but actually cools down to left of centre while driving, which I assume is due to the crisp October air. Anyway, luckily my engine is safe, and Bonnie still runs like a dream.

No comments: